Superfoods are nutrient rich foods that are especially beneficial for health and wellbeing. Superfood smoothies are a great idea since you can pack in the benefits of several organic, vegan, raw, living food, enzyme rich, biologically available, heart healthy, immune system boosting foods in a great tasting, easy to digest nutritious beverage. Superfoods deliver maximum nutrients with minimal calories. Put any number of these together and you receive an excellent supply of all the essential aminos, nutrients, minerals and fatty acids, and maximize your anti-aging, metabolic, and genetic potential. Side benefits will likely include healthier looking hair, skin, nails, improved memory and cognition and more energy to do the things you love to do. Your body will thank you!
Many of these foods/herbs are found in capsule form as single herbs or formulas. The raw powder is sold in bulk and typically you will gain 3x – 5x the amount of the superfood for about ½ the price of one bottle of the capsules.
Some of our favorite superfood smoothie ingredients are:
- Hemp seeds and hemp seed protein - They are mild with a slight nutty flavor and contain all 10 amino acids with a high protein content - 11 grams of protein in just 3 tablespoons. Hemp is mineral rich and contains anti-inflammatory, metabolism boosting GLA fatty acids and vitamin E.
- Raw Organic Sprouted Rice Protein – This amazing protein source is easy to digest and has a wide spectrum of minerals and amino acids. Just two tablespoons contains 20 grams of protein, fiber, B vitamins,
iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and GABA, the second most prevalent neurotransmitter with anti-anxiety and mood boosting benefits.
- Goji Berries – Boasts the most nutrient dense and second highest amount of vitamin C of any food on earth. Goji berries are rich in vitamin A and antioxidants, containing 18 amino acids 21 minerals. Traditionally used for anti-aging and boosting energy, proven to boost athletic performance, they are commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine to support the kidney and liver and aid eyesight. Goji contains antifungal and antibacterial compounds. Goji has blood thinning properties and may be contraindicated with certain medications for blood pressure and diabetes.
- Chia Seeds – One ounce contains 11 grams of fiber and is jam packed with ALA omega 3´s. Chia slows down digestion and prevents blood sugar spikes. The seeds are a complete protein and high in antioxidants. Two tablespoons of chia contains 18 percent of the daily recommended intake of calcium, 35 percent of phosphorus, 24 percent of magnesium and 50 percent of manganese.
- Raw Cacao - High in magnesium calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, manganese and Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, E. Cacao contains the essential heart-healthy fat - oleic acid a monounsaturated fat
and mood enhancing phenylethylamine. Proven to have blood pressure lowering and circulatory benefits, cacao is high in antioxidants. All the properties of chocolate are preserved when consumed raw.
- Spirulina – A complete protein containing essential fatty acids. Spirulina contains all of the essential amino acids. It also contains gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and iodine. It can help prevent type 2 diabetes,
cardiovascular disease, and neurodegenerative disorders. It is the only plant consumed by humans that contains phycocyanin, the blue green pigment which boasts numerous health benefits.
- Mucuna – Contains L-Dopa, the precursor to dopamine. Supports balance and sufficiency of neurotransmitter and hormone production. Boosts testosterone in men and women. Increased dopamine reduces prolactin, the antagonist to testosterone. Healthy dopamine levels lead to better sleep, mental clarity, increased bone density, stronger immunity and increased muscle mass.
- Maca – Referred to as Peruvian ginseng, maca has both nutritional and medicinal value. It has a complete amino acid profile, rich in vitamin B vitamins, C, E, calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids. Maca increases stamina and athletic performance and nourishes the entire endocrine system. It boosts and balances hormones production and increases fertility.
- Camu Camu – Grows in the Amazon foests. Both the fruit and leaves used medicinally. It has a tart taste and contains 1180% of the daily recommended dose of vitamin C per teaspoon, as well as gallic acid an antiviral, antifungal. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and promotes eye health. Camu Camu offers healthy doses of iron, niacin, riboflavin, phosphorus, potassium, beta-carotene, calcium and the amino acids leucine, serine, thiamine and valine.
- Flax Oil and/or seed - Contains omega 3 ALA fatty acids, and omega 6´s, lignans and fiber. May help with menopausal symptoms due to phytoestrongeic properties and may help to lower triglycerides. Seeds must be ground prior to blending in smoothies.
- RAW Coconut Oil – Contains medium chain triglycerides. MCT´s are metabolized differently. They go directly to the liver and are immediately convrted to energy. Proven to boost metabolism and fat burning
- in particular abdominal fat. The lauric acid in coconut oil effective against fungus, viruses and bacteria. MCT´s boost brain function in Alzheimer´s / dementia. Coconut oil helps to enhance thyroid function and keep your heart healthy.